29 July, 2010

Day Sixteen: Sunday, 25 July, 2010

Today I wore my class-A uniform for the first time here and went to church services after breakfast. The speakers were a young lady, whose name escapes my recall, who is the president of the National Venturing Organization; Larry Cook (I hope I remember his name right), who was the scoutmaster of the Jamboree troop in 2005 that lost two scouts and several adults when they raised a tent pole too near high-voltage power lines; and Larry Gibbons, from the Presiding Bishopric.
It was an uncommon sacrament meeting, to be sure. Shade was scarce, and disappeared quickly as the meeting went on. Larry Cook, as he was retelling what happened at the last Jamboree, pointed to the spot where they had been camping, about 120 feet from where he stood at the podium. He had been helping to raise the pole at the time the electricity had arced across to it. His son was right there and managed to knock him away from the pole without hurting himself too much. He took a long time to heal.

When the meeting ended, I went back to the barracks to change clothes and then headed back to my work area. It was slightly cooler, probably under 100 degrees, but just as humid and sticky. I was glad when it was time to call it a day and head back for a meal, a shower, and bunk time.

No comments:

Post a Comment