21 July, 2010

Day Seven: Friday, 16 July, 2010

Happy Birthday, Delia!

All were up on time, down for breakfast on time, and driving away only ten minutes late this morning. We had an appointment for a tour of the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana at 3:00, after losing another hour heading east, so we really had to move things along.

Looking at the number of miles involved, we should have been there with an hour to spare, but, even though we didn’t actually go into Chicago, we still had plenty of traffic issues to deal with there, plus road construction, plus sitting in a mile-long line just to pay a toll of $0.60. Annoying, to say the least, and I will apply the term to all of the toll roads of the trip here and drop the subject. We arrived five minutes late, and had to sprint to catch up to our group.

I soaked up lots of interesting trivia on the University of Notre Dame tour. I had heard of “Touchdown Jesus” before, but I was unaware that the campus also had statues of “Touchdown Moses” and “Fair Catch Corby.” Lots of amazing old buildings and art to look at.

After the tour, we had a great dinner at a Greek restaurant called Alexander’s Grill. If you’re ever in South Bend, I highly recommend it! They even came and sang happy birthday to Delia.

Then it was back on the road, crossing into Michigan not long after. Mica and Delia were involved in their own worlds, so Pam and I listed to a new audiobook about Arlington National Cemetery. The whole long history of the property was covered, with lots of great stories. The name of the book is On Hallowed Ground by Robert M. Poole.

We pulled into Hillsdale before sunset, by design. Tonight was laundry night. I made two discoveries tonight, neither of them pleasant. First, I found that I had left a stick of gum in the pocket of my white shirt, leading to its untimely demise. Second, I recalled that I had not collected the garment bag from the closet at the bed & breakfast before we left. To compound the magnitude of the error, there was money in the jacket pocket because I had yielded to Pam’s advice to not keep it all in one place.

Fortunately, the hostesses of the house are both honest as well as accommodating above and beyond the normal call of duty. They have agreed to put the items in a box and ship them to our hotel in DC. Let me herein also give a plug for The Nauvoo Grand. Nicest people, great breakfasts; they take care of anything you need.

The laundry is folded, the showers are taken, and it’s off to bed for the lot of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment