29 July, 2010

Day Fifteen: Saturday, 24 July, 2010

Today was a long driving day for Pam and Company, all the way from Richmond, VA to Huntsville, AL. They passed back into CDT somewhere around Chattanooga, TN. More than half of me wishes I had gone with them, for more than one reason. Of course, I miss my family, but I also missed air conditioning. Today was a scorcher! It wasn’t as humid and muggy as it was in Nauvoo, but it was hotter.

At the Jamboree, I am working in the Technology Quest area, which has a lot of great high tech stuff for the scouts to play with. Or will have once we’re done setting up. Today I worked inside a metal shed about 50 yards long and maybe 20 wide at the base. When I started working, I thought of it as a hangar, but others called it a Quonset hut. To me, it looked like a giant soup can split in half lengthwise, a concept strengthened by the fact that there was an identical building sitting right next to it.

In our building, we were constructing an oversized aluminum framework from enormous erector set pieces. We spent all day working on it, and had all of the metal pieces up where they belonged by the end of the day. We had started putting up the vinyl and fabric hangings in the open spaces, too, which made the building into a temporary giant informational display. We also got to unpack the Apollo-11 spacesuit, the life-sized and detailed Predator and Alien mannequins, the imitation Mars landscape and NASA Mars rover, and lots of other things. We’ll finish setting up tomorrow.

Every twenty minutes they called a water break, and every break I drank a half liter of water. It wasn’t overdoing it at all, since I was thirsty again by the time we stopped. It was about 5:30 when they decided to call it a day and put us back on busses to get us to our barracks. I’m staying in Wilcox camp, which is to the east, outside of the normal Jamboree area. The Technology Quest area is to the far west side of the Jamboree site. I don’t mind the commute, since those staying over on the west end are sleeping in tents and the barracks building has some a/c, though it can’t keep up. Still, I was lucky to be put there. Most everyone else in the building is assigned to work on the merit badge midway.

No comments:

Post a Comment