05 August, 2010

Day Twenty-four: Monday, 2 August, 2010

Today was the last full day of jamboree activities for us. The way they worked admission to the Tech Quest area was to provide tickets by subcamp for either the morning or afternoon of a particular day, and that was when you were supposed to go. The plan was to have 2,900 scouts in each session. Of course, plans have to change. They then said that anyone could enter the last hour of each session, from 11 to 12 and from 3 to 4. Not satisfied with that, they then extended the afternoon shifts until 5.

We stayed busy.

Anyway, this morning was the session that Brian’s troop came through. I got to work with him in the DNA area, and then I lost track of him as he wandered through the other areas. He did tell me that the 60-second liquid nitrogen ice cream was yummy. The guys from Michigan Tech making it have gotten a little impatient a couple of times and made a mess. If they pour too much LN2 in at a time, which expands as it warms up, they get exploding ice cream all over. This happened at least twice.

Michigan Tech also has some displays on harmonics, a trench of ooblech (of Dr. Seuss fame), a vacuum ping pong ball gun, a miniature hovercraft built from two leaf blowers, and a couple of other hands-on physics displays.

I did a little bit of patch trading after work. I brought a couple dozen patches from our council to the Jamboree, in order to trade with people from all over, but up to now it has been kind of hit and miss. Mostly, I’ve traded with anyone who has asked me, but I haven’t gone out of my way to ask people if they want to trade. So far, I have 20 new patches to add to my collection.

That’s about all the news from Fort A. P. Hill for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment