05 August, 2010

Day Nineteen: Wednesday, 28 July, 2010

Yesterday morning was the “Opening Arena Show,” which seems odd to me, having been here for a few days already. Anyway, it was a lot of fun. Several Boy Scout executives spoke, Miss America spoke and sang, the Army Golden Knights paratroopers performed, there was a flyover by F-16s, the governor of Virginia welcomed us, and there were a few other things I don’t recall at the moment.

Of course, the line to get into the natural bowl for the show was fifteen people wide and an hour long. I didn’t expect to see anyone familiar in a crowd that large, but less than halfway in I looked over and the man standing to my right, who was turned away, had on a Columbia Pacific Council patch, and I thought, “Hey, he’s from my council.” Then I noticed his troop number was 628, and I thought, “Hey, that was my troop number in Astoria when I was a scout.” And lo and behold, when he turned back around it was Frank Van Winkle, who at one point was my assistant scoutmaster. We sat together for the show and did a little catching up. Small world, isn’t it?

It was less hot when the day started today, but more humid. Overall, I think it was easier to handle. Sitting down on the grass in the wide open bowl for so long, I got sunburned on my knees. I hadn’t been putting sunscreen there, because they hadn’t been seeing all that much sun, what with my belly to provide shade. Anyway, I didn’t even notice until shower-time last night. They got some ointment at bedtime, and a healthy dose of sunscreen today.

As expected, there was no more pretending to be dead today, but I still got to handle introductions. Other than that, there were not a lot of changes at work today. Just running a group of scouts through the same twenty minute presentation over and over. There is a little more that I can participate in, since I don’t have to lie in the sun for most of the discourse now.

That was pretty much my day, breakfast, long bus ride, setup, work, lunch, work, long bus ride, dinner, shower, bed.

The barracks are a little hard to get used to. There are 44 bunks in each of two bays, with a walkway going the full length of the building. In the middle, separating the two bays, is a room with four showers to the north and a divided bathroom and washroom on the south side. Instead of doors, the toilet stalls have shower curtains that almost reach from one side to the other, just like the curtains in the showers. Oh well, if I don’t get used to it, at least it won’t last forever.

Pam and the others were in Branson, MO tonight, watching a show there. Tomorrow morning they’ll head out for the mad dash back home. Mica has to leave for another week-long activity next Monday, which doesn’t leave much time for sightseeing from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment