04 May, 2010

Dead Reckoning (Book One) - Chapter Four

Lieutenant Commander Katherine Leung
From her personal journal
2 November

I was pleased with how my luck was running lately.

I knew that Brighton was trying to find someone disloyal as soon as he arrived. Why else would you bring an Elite Corps major to head such a small security force? Nervous did not begin to cover my feelings. Major Chowdhury could intimidate granite.

I immediately set to work triple-checking logs to be sure my own activities would remain a secret. Imagine how lucky I felt when I discovered proof that there was another leak on board. Now Brighton and Chowdhury trusted me completely.

I sat and pretended to listen to Commander Teach vent about Captain Brighton and his Marines taking over the ship. The time since the arrest of Lt. Jhonsruud had been tense. Captain Brighton had ordered all crew and officers to either be in one of three places until further notice: their quarters, their duty station or the commissary. This had been understandable to most, but the restriction had gone on almost a month now, and it was starting to grate on a lot of nerves. This was my second bit of good fortune.

Teach was down in Engineering, supposedly looking over schematics and test data. This was the third time in as many days that he had complained to me on the same subject. I had spent much time and effort to have him see me as an understanding commiserate. He was frustrated and felt betrayed by Captain Brighton. The time was right, I judged.

"Commander, what if there was a way to take the ship back? Would you want to know about it?" Leung asked quietly.

"What do you mean?" Teach said quickly, looking alarmed.

"I was just saying, hypothetically, if there were a way out from under their improper regime, would you want to know about it," I answered quickly, hoping I had not miscalculated.

Teach sat there looking distantly at the wall for a long while before turning back to me. "Yes, Katie, I would. Tell me what you were thinking."

I carefully laid out a version of my current plan, one that made it appear that Teach would be in charge, and claimed that I knew of a way to contact someone, not that I already had. No need to alarm him too much.

Teach took the bait. He wanted me to make sure there would be no trace, but make contact and find out what our options were.

"We will need Lamont," I said quickly when he made to stand up.

"Why?" Teach asked with suspicion in his face.

"We would need three bridge officers to override systems, if needed. Him specifically, because he is in agreement that this ship has gone beyond normal WSN protocol and is untenable in its current situation," I said quietly.

"You have thought a lot about this haven't you?" Teach queried.

"I think about a lot of things. I think we are in the right, though, and the rest of humanity, if maybe not the WSN, will agree with us in time," I responded, playing to his twisted sense of moral virtue. "I trust you, Edward, and will follow your lead, but I think we really should consider this option."

"All right. Let's wait until you have made contact, to see if it is possible, and then bring him in. No need to endanger ourselves needlessly if we can't make it happen," Teach said.

"Sounds like we have a plan, and Commander," I paused to emphasize my point, waiting until Teach had turned back to face me, "Please, let's be very careful. Say what we will about Brighton and Chowdhury, they are still very astute." He grunted noncommittally and left the Engineering area. He had been right, though. I had thought a lot about this topic.

I really wished that it hadn't had to go this way. Captain Vanderjagt had been a good man to work for, easy-going and genial. If anyone was to blame for his death, it was the powers-that-were at Warner who had trapped me at my current grade. I pulled the well-worn letter from my tunic pocket and folded it open.

10 April, 2786
To: Lieutenant Commander Katherine Tyler Leung
From: Warner Human Resources-Naval Division
RE: Application For Command

Commander:

We appreciate your interest in the command positions that are currently available within the Warner Space Navy. Your efforts to advance yourself are commendable and an example to all of your fellow officers. In response to your last request to the Board, it is with deepest regrets that I must inform you that we were unable to approve your request at this time. It is our hope that you will continue to work for the good of the Navy as you strive for excellence in all that you do.

With regards,

William S. Remarr
Senior Resource VP
Warner / Gateways International

The letter itself was not so bad. The bad part was that it was exactly, word for word, the same as the last two times I had applied for open command slots. Nothing else could have made it so impersonally clear that Lt. Commander Katherine Tyler Leung had climbed as many corporate rungs as I was going to be allowed. So if I was going to advance now, it was not going to be by playing by the rules.

I had already been stationed here, and I knew the Argo Project was "not to be mentioned to anyone outside of the project". So if Warner would not promote me and give me a raise, I could find another way to make Warner pay.

A few discrete feelers while on liberty at Hugo Station had brought an enthusiastic response from the Forrest Family. They were willing to meet my price, but not for the engineering specs. They wanted the ship itself. Warner was already too near completion, they had argued. It would do them no good to come in second. I was willing to argue that point, but Forrest was the one willing to pay for my retirement, so I hadn't.

Stealing a ship is infinitely more complicated than stealing data, though. To be successful, I had to have accomplices. I had been able to pick my own engineering crew, and most were long time acquaintances. Those I had already carefully approached were willing to give me their loyalty in exchange for a piece of the very large pie. I thought that would be the case with all those of my department, with only a few I was not sure of.

The problem before had been co-opting officers. Now, luck had again intervened in my favor. It looked like that would no longer be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment